When it comes to the 6-cup rice cooker category, there are two brands that reflect the choice of many households. One of them is the high-end type while the other belongs to the mid-end category which is perfect for those who are budget conscious. Quality is never a question as far as these two brands are concerned. While they may have significant difference in the price, the performance of these rice cookers has been the subject of many praises from satisfied users.
5 Best 6 Cups Rice Cookers Reviews
BLACK AND DECKER 6 CUP RICE COOKER
This Black and Decker is a hit for those who want to have a fully functioning rice cooker at a very reasonable price. Following are the salient features of this very popular rice cooker.
- Non-stick – It comes with a cooking pot that has a no-stick feature and also dishwasher safe at the same time.
- Heat-free lid handle – Ordinary rice cookers have hot handles and lid but this model in particular lets you touch the handle without getting a steam burn. Even the side handles are heat-free so it is safe even for children to touch.
- Stay-warm function – After the rice is cooked, it will stay warm because of the built-in warm function in the unit. This ensures that you can enjoy warm rice any time of day.
- Steam vent – The tempered glass cover comes with a steam vent to make sure that the steam will not come out on the side of the lid.
- This Black and Decker rice cooker also comes with rice paddle, measuring cup, and an all-plastic steamer that is easy to use and clean.
Zojirushi 6 cup rice cooker/steamerIf you want more features and functions from a 6-cup rice cooker
- Non-stick cooking pan – The unit comes with a removable and easy to clean non-stick cooking pan.
- All-stainless steamer – The steamer is made from durable stainless steel so you can be sure that it can last for a long time. You can steam just about any kind of food fit for this function such as vegetables, dumplings, and can even be used to re-heat some foods.
- Durable Glass top cover – With a glass cover, it allows you to see how rice is cooking without touching any part of the unit.
- Keep Warm feature – After the rice is fully cooked, the indicator light for the warm function will automatically turn on. This helps to keep your rice and even steamed food warm and ready to eat any time.
- Detachable cord – To help in tidying your kitchen, this rice cooker has a detachable power cord which means you can pull the cord and keep it in a safe place when you are not going to cook rice anytime soon.
- Safe handles – The handles of this rice cooker is not affected by heat so you can touch it anytime you want.
- The Zojirushi 6 cup rice cooker/steamer comes with spatula and measuring cup for your convenience.
Panasonic SR-DE103 5-Cup (Uncooked) “Fuzzy Logic” Rice Cooker
Compact in size, this Panasonic cooker has a domed lid that helps to prevent moisture from dripping back onto the food, avoiding mushiness, which is a huge plus if you ask me. It also comes with a food scoop, measuring cup, and steaming basket.
This particular model seems like a pretty good deal compared to the other Japanese choices in that it’s cheaper and does more types of cooking. The only drawback for me is that it only comes in white, but that’s just personal preference.
CUCKOO CRP-N0681F 6-CUP ELECTRIC PRESSURE MODEL
For a little less sticker shock, Cuckoo offers a 6-Cup Electric Pressure Rice Cooker, the CRP-N0681F, for half the price.
Obviously, it’s also a pressure/rice cooker combination and comes with the same protective coating on the cooking pan, but it doesn’t use induction heating.
Lastly, the least expensive option offered by Cuckoo is the CRP-FA0610F Rice Cooker, which is another 6-Cup option.
It comes in red or white, while the other cookers are both stainless steel and black. It’s still a pressure cooker, so the white version will cook in only 19 minutes, but this version doesn’t come with the special protective coating that is on the more expensive models.
All of these Cuckoo appliances have gotten excellent reviews, and they’re pressure cookers to boot, so you aren’t limited to just rice.
Aroma Housewares 6-Cup Pot Style Rice Cooker and Food Steamer
Aroma Housewares makes a wide-range of rice cookers, and just about all of them could have been included on this list. We chose the Aroma Housewares 6-Cup Pot Style Rice Cooker because it’s easy to operate, it’s sold at an unbeatable price, and it has decent cooking capacity.
Appliances don’t get much easier than this offering from Aroma. Simply add rice and water, flip the switch, and the rice cooker will take care of the rest. The Aroma Housewares Rice Cooker will even automatically switch to “warm” mode when your rice is done, so you don’t have to worry about overcooking your rice.
This product is missing some features, such as a sauté function, but for $17 this rice cooker is hard to beat.
SIMPLE WAYS TO DETERMINE QUALITY
- Look for a detachable inner lid that can be cleaned separately. This much easier that trying to wipe out the interior of the appliance with a wet towel. Moreover, any device with a such a lid is probably a more purpose built machine designed to actually cook rice rather than an electrical heating element slapped under/around a metal container and labeled as a “rice cooker.
- Quality coating on the inner pot matters – a lot. The cheaper products have coatings that will peel sooner or later (and often sooner). You want a durable product that remains bonded with the pot.
- Where is it made? Korea or Japan? Good. Elsewhere? Perhaps not so good.
This just gives you a sampling of what is available on the market today. All of these options have received excellent reviews and are top-rated appliances.
For most of you, it may come down to price, so I would suggest doing some comparison shopping among the different brands at several stores or on Amazon.
I hope this information helps you if you’re in the market for one of these handy kitchen appliances.