If you love baking, the lack of a conventional oven in a Japanese apartment can be frustrating. But all is not lost! Many sweet treats can be made at home in your rice cooker. This recipe for banana bread is simple and only takes about an hour and a half.
- 1 ½ cups white flour (you may use 1 cup of enriched wheat flour.)
- 1 cup mashed bananas (This is about 2 to 3 medium-sized bananas.)
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup softened butter
- ¾ cup white sugar or brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large-sized egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Get a large mixing bowl to combine the sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Make sure that they’re properly mixed.
- Add the mashed banana, butter, milk, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Mix them all until the batter has creamy, thick consistency. To make sure that you have the ideal consistency, you may use an electric mixer (if you have one). Hand-mixing the bananas and the butter to achieve uniform consistency can be a little tricky. It’s a good idea to soften the butter first before mixing it with the other ingredients.
- Add other ingredients that you want, such as chopped nuts.
- Coat the inside of the cooker with oil.
- Pour the mixture into the rice cooker’s pot evenly.
- Start the cooker. You may use the same settings as you would when you cook rice. Depending on the model of your rice cooker, you may need to run it twice to make sure that it’s well cooked.
- Pop the cake out and serve it while it’s still hot.